1 hour 5 min
Almond Liqueur Spheres
1. Warm up 1 tbs (15 ml) of water and combine with calcium lactate. Stir until the calcium lactate is fully diluted, then combine with almond liqueur. Place currants and blueberries in small, demi-spherical molds (1 piece of fruit per mold).
2. Pour mixture into prepared molds and let sit in the freezer for 1 hour or until the spheres are frozen. (While you wait, make raspberry & basil jam.)
3. In a rectangular, flat-bottomed bowl and using a hand blender, dissolve sodium alginate in the remaining water. Let sit for 15 minutes, then warm briefly in a microwave oven.
4. Unmold frozen liqueur spheres in alginate bath. Let sit for 3 minutes while gently stirring once in a while to prevent the spheres from touching.
5. Fill a medium-sized bowl with water. Using a slotted spoon, delicately collect the spheres and briefly rinse them in the water, then remove excess water from each sphere by applying a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the spoon. Reserve.
Raspberry & Basil Jam
6. First, zest lemon and orange (you will not need the actual fruit) save about a teaspoon’s worth (5 ml) for the next part of the recipe and use the rest in this section.
7. In a pot, bring all ingredients except for the basil to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Finely chop basil while you wait. After 10 minutes, remove from heat, add in basil and blend with a hand blender until homogenous. Sprinkle in agar-agar and blend for 5 more seconds, then put back on the heat, bring to a boil and remove from heat immediately.
8. Pour mixture into small plastic containers or molds and refrigerate for 20 minutes, then unmold.
9. Serve jam on a bed of shoots, mâche and zest with a drizzle of olive oil. Top with a liqueur sphere. Serve alongside a cheese platter and croutons.