PUMPKIN PIE REVISITED
1 hour 45 min
1 hour 45 min
1. Preheat oven to 300 °f (150 °C). In a pot, bring 2 tbs (30 ml) of water and ½ cup (125 ml) of sugar to a boil while stirring. Cook just until mixture starts browning, then remove from heat. gradually incorporate cream while stirring and set aside to cool.
2. In a bowl, whisk eggs together with the rest of the sugar. Mix in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger and cooled caramel. Transfer to a baking dish and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges are firm and the middle is still slightly wobbly. Set aside.
3. Blend together milk and calcium lactate, then transfer cooked pie filling to a blender and blend some more until homogenous. If the mixture is too thick to blend, add in more warm milk.
4. Divide the mixture between small, demi-spherical molds and let sit in the freezer for 1 hour or until the spheres are frozen. While you wait, make pie crust.
5. In a rectangular, flat-bottomed bowl and using a hand blender, dissolve sodium alginate in water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
6. Unmold frozen pumpkin pie spheres in alginate bath. Let sit for 3 minutes while gently stirring once in a while to prevent the spheres from touching.
7. Fill a medium-sized bowl with remaining water. Using a slotted spoon, delicately collect the spheres and briefly rinse them in the water, then remove excess water from each sphere by applying a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the spoon. reserve.
8. Move a rack to the bottom third of your oven, then preheat to 350 °F (180 °c). Soften butter, then, in a bowl, combine oats, flour and brown sugar, then incorporate sugar. Transfer to an 8” (20 cm) square baking dish and cook for 30 minutes, then set aside to cool. Cut into 4 by 4” (10 x 10 cm) squares once cooled.
9. Soften butter in a small pan or in the microwave. In a bowl, combine confectioner’s sugar, butter, milk and vanilla until homogenous and fluffy. Transfer icing to a pastry bag.
Pumpkin Pie Shperes
10. Toast and crush the pumpkin seeds. Place each pie crust on a ramekin or small plate, then top with a pumpkin pie sphere and decorate as pictured with icing, seeds and allspice.