TROPICAL CAPSULE DUO
2 hours 5 min
Poached Apricots With Wine
1. Halve apricots and pit them. In a pot, bring water, wine and honey to a boil, then remove from heat. Add in apricots and rosemary and let sit, at room temperature, for 2 hours (start making blackberry juice spheres 30 minutes in), then refrigerate apricots (discard everything else). Serve cool.
Blackberry Juice Spheres
2. Using a juicer, extract juice from blackberries. Filter 3/4 of a cup of the juice. In a blender, combine with honey and calcium lactate until completely dissolved. Pour the mixture into small, demi-spherical molds and let sit in the freezer for 1 hour or until the spheres are frozen (while you wait, make pumpkin & sunflower seed butter.)
3. In a rectangular, flat-bottomed bowl and using a hand blender, dissolve sodium alginate in water. Let sit for 15 minutes.
4. Unmold frozen spheres in alginate bath. Let sit for 3 minutes while gently stirring once in a while to prevent the spheres from touching.
5. Fill a medium-sized bowl with water. Using a slotted spoon, delicately collect the spheres and briefly rinse them in the water, then remove excess water from each sphere by applying a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the spoon. Reserve.
Pumpkin & Sunflower Butter
6. In a large pan, toast sunflower and pumpkin seeds on medium heat, stirring often, for 2 minutes. remove from heat and let cool.
7. In a food processor, pulse seeds into a fine grind. Then, continue blending while gradually pouring oil in, until homogenous and smooth (use a rubber spatula to scrape the mixture off the food processor’s inner walls). Finally, blend in honey and transfer to a jar. The butter will keep for up to 1 week at room temperature.
8. Start with some pumpkin and sunflower seed butter on the bottom of each plate, then top with poached apricot and a blackberry sphere. Respectively garnish with rosemary and purple basil.