1 hour 30 min
11 hours 30 min
1. Rinse flowers in cold water and place them in a bowl with the lemon juice. Crush without mashing, then let sit overnight. Refrigerate a tall glass of oil until very cold, or, to save time, place it in the freezer for 1 hour before using it. Lastly, let artichokes thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Violet Water Pearls
2. Using a sieve placed on top of a pot, filter flower preparation and save juices. make sure to squeeze the flowers to collect as much liquid as possible, then discard the flowers. Pour in the sugar and cook on very low heat for 7 minutes.
3. Sprinkle 1 sachet agar-agar into the pot and mix it in using a spoon. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat immediately.
4. Remove the cold oil from the freezer or refrigerator. Using a pipette held at a 90° angle, slowly drip droplets of the agar-agar preparation into the cold oil. Stir gently, then, using a sieve, collect pearls and briefly rinse them underwater. Reserve.
Blue Potato Spheres
5. Preheat oven to 350 °f (175 °c) and lightly grease a baking sheet. Wash potatoes but do not peel them, then, halve each potato (cut larger potatoes into quarters). Place potato chunks on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, then cook in the oven for 35 minutes. (While the potatoes are cooking, start making spicy hazelnut-crusted John Dory).
6. Once the potatoes are done cooking, use an ice cream scoop to scoop spheres out of the flesh. Reserve spheres in a bowl covered with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying or getting cold.
Spicy Hazelnut-Crushed John Dory
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mince garlic, then whisk it together with honey, tamari, lime juice, and sesame oil. Using a pastry brush, generously coat filets with the mixture and reserve.
8. Chop hazelnuts. In a bowl, mix them together with panko, espelette pepper, Korean pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Transfer onto a large cutting board, then roll coated filets in crust mix until the surface is homogenously covered in it.
9. Once the potatoes are out of the oven, turn it up to 425 °f (220 °c). (While the oven is heating up, make baby bok choy.) once the oven has reached the desired temperature, place filets on a baking sheet and cook for 13-15 minutes. (While the filets are cooking, make artichoke cream.)
Baby Bok Choy
10. Slice bulbs lengthwise and cook with butter in a pan, on medium heat, for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add in broth and let reduce for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and reserve.
11. Chop artichokes coarsely and smash garlic, then combine in a pan with half and half, espelette pepper and salt. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 more minutes, until artichokes are tender. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. using a hand blender, blend until homogenous.
12. Divide artichoke cream, filets, baby bok choy and blue potato spheres between 4 plates. Decorate with violet water pearls, and serve.